1 The Muppet Mindset: Gobo Finds His Voice Again

Apr 12, 2013

Gobo Finds His Voice Again

Yesterday afternoon (conveniently after our News Update was posted), a video was discovered on YouTube. The video is a promo for The Hub cable channel's upcoming Fraggle Rockathon celebrating Fraggle Rock's 30th Anniversary. Why is this 20 second video noteworthy, I hear you ask? Because it features Gobo Fraggle speaking for the first time since Jerry Nelson passed away. Watch the clip below and see/hear for yourself:



You can watch a much higher quality version of the video via our friends at Entertainment Weekly.

Amazing, no? Gobo sounds almost spot-on and I'm already incredibly impressed by this recast. Mostly because the voice is so solid, but also because I never expected Gobo to be recast--let alone this quickly. Muppet fans are baffled about who is performing Gobo here. Matt Vogel, the prime suspect, confirmed on Twitter that it is not him. So who could it be? Tyler Bunch? John Tartaglia? We do not know... but hopefully we'll find out soon!

UPDATE: The Jim Henson Company confirmed to our pals at ToughPigs that Gobo was indeed performed by our good friend John Tartaglia. John is a friend of the site and to me personally so I could not be more thrilled to hear that he gets to be Gobo!

What say you, Muppet fans? Does Gobo's new voice make you want to dance your cares away?





The Muppet Mindset by Ryan Dosier, muppetmindset@gmail.com

7 comments:

  1. Wow, so this is one Jerry Nelson character that Matt Vogel HASN'T taken on? I'm a little surprised, but then again, it's not entirely hard to believe, considering that Eric Jacobson took on most of Frank Oz's characters with the exception of Cookie Monster, who went to David Rudman instead.

    Listening to it myself, my guess would be Johnny T., it kind of sounds like him to me, but I wouldn't swear to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is not only the first time that Gobo Fraggle has spoken since Jerry Nelson passed away, but the first time that the character has SPOKEN in AGES! Since what? 1987 maybe? Somebody correct me please!?

    Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the last time Gobo was fully performed by Jerry was at Jim Henson's memorial service. There are more recent instances of Jerry doing the voice (without the puppet) in interviews and other things, but I'd suppose that wouldn't count. -- JB

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, I was gone on a mission trip and missed SO much! I caliannot believe Gobo's voice is back since Mr. Nelson's passing! This is amazing! I know John Tartagalia will do Gobo proud! Now I'm off to read all the articles I missed!
    Hugs and Giggles~Maria Gayle K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaahh!!! Oh my word! At last, Gobo has been recast! Anyway, on a calmer note, I actually teared up and started to cry slightly when I saw the title of this article. Even though I wasn't born during the time Fraggle Rock was being aired, I have become very attached to Fraggle Rock and all of the characters, so my tearing up is really no shock to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gobo sounds really great. Hopefully his Muppeteering and lipsync will loosen up, as the character still looks a little wooden next to veteran Karen Prell's Red.

    Still, fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG YOU SHOULD MAKE AN INTERVIEW WITH JOHN TARTAGLIA, DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN JOHNNY SAID THAT FRAGGLE ROCK WAS HIS INSPIRATION TO BE A PUPPETER?! IT'S LIKE HIS DREAM CAME TRUE AT LAST! OMGGG I'M SO PROUD OF HIM! I LOVE YOU JOHNNY! MARRYMEEEE♡

    ReplyDelete

The Muppet Whatnot Workshop-Only Available at FAO.com
The Muppet Whatnot Workshop-Only Available at FAO.combanner