1 The Muppet Mindset: Other Christmas Productions Muppet Fans Love

Dec 22, 2012

Other Christmas Productions Muppet Fans Love

Yesterday we showcased how much Muppet fans adore the 1987 special A Muppet Family Christmas. And of course they have every reason to love it, because it's awesome. But today we'll show off the other responses we got to the question "What is your favorite Muppet Christmas production?"

Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas
"My favorite Muppet Christmas special is definitely Emmett Otter's Jug-Band Christmas. Rather than a bunch of lights and tinsel, it takes place in a tiny little country town. It's so un-Christmasy, but the message of warmth and heart is still present. It truly is a reminder of what Christmas is really all about, and done so through a bunch of wonderful songs, a colorful cast of characters, and an all around awesome storyline." ~ Hubert A.

"Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas times infinity." ~ Brian Heck

"Emmet Otter. Why? It's Emmet Otter! And also Christmas Branch! Paul Williams songs! Barbeque! Jumping ferrets! Riverbottom Nightmare Band! And it has a singing frog in it who is not Kermit!" ~ Craig C.

Christmas Eve on Sesame Street
"My all-time favorite is definitely Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. As funny and entertaining as the special is, it's the lessons of selflessness, trust, and peace that resonate most with me. I think I've cried each and every time I've watched it. This is Sesame Street at it's zenith. When I first heard the cast sing 'Keep Christmas with You All Through the Year' I took it to heart. To this day, I still sign all my Christmas cards with that sentiment. This song is like a prayer of peace for the world. When I think of the reason for my undying love of Muppets and Jim Henson's work, it's this special that comes to mind first. A truly remarkable show." ~ Bruce Aguilar

"My favorite is Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. I grew up with a copy my parents taped off of PBS and nearly wore it out--I'd even watch it in the middle of summer, keeping true to the message of 'Keep Christmas with you all through the year.' I also love that the mystery of Santa Claus is left a mystery. I think this is probably Carroll's best work as Big Bird, aside from Mr. Hooper's death." ~ Beth Kondrick

"My favorite is Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. It is such a classic that everybody loves (and if they don't, they're crazy). My favorite parts are the ice skating bit at the beginning, specifically when Oscar gets thrown down those stairs. I also love Kermit's brief part. Ahh... classic Jim Henson moment. My favorite songs from that are 'Keep Christmas with You,' 'True Blue Miracle,' and 'I Hate Christmas.' Oh, but I can't forget 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas' with Bert and Ernie. So SWEET!! I watch this movie every single Christmas." ~ Anonymous

It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie
"It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie is a great made-for-TV movie. It came out at a time when it looked like the Muppets were losing popularity aside from nostalgiac value. I like all the pop culture references and more adult jokes. 'Everyone Matters' is a really good number. And best of all I like the fact that this is the first Muppet movie to take place at the Muppet theater." ~ Michael Wermuth, Jr.

The Christmas Toy
"My favorite would have to be The Christmas Toy. I've seen the movie every year since I can remember. My copy for the longest time was recorded off the TV and still had all the old 80's commercials on it, which made it even better. I did have to upgrade eventually when it came out on DVD and now I don't have to find a working VHS player to watch it. It's really not Christmas for me without a little Rugby Tiger." ~ Jennifer

John Denver & The Muppes: A Christmas Together (album and special)
"I'd say the John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together special/album combo. It truly is the best of both worlds... the special shows how good John Denver is as an all-around entertainer, and also how touching the Muppets can be without overdoing the schmaltz. The album is carefully crafted, musically and... well, just listen to 'Deck the Halls,' and you can tell that the writers spent time matching each Muppet to a line that represented them. It's no accident that Gonzo sings, 'TROLL the ancient Yule tide carol!'" ~ Bryan Snyder

The Muppet Christmas Carol 
"Honestly, I don't have a favorite Muppet Christmas production. Christmas is my favorite time with the Muppets and I lose myself in every one of their magical productions every December. However, this December one production really stood out to me, and that is The Muppet Christmas Carol. Perhaps it was the Blu-ray release that renewed my appreciation for the film, but I've never loved it more than this year. It is such a beautiful movie with so much in it. It represents not just what the Muppets can do, but it shows that they would continue to thrive after the loss of Jim Henson and Richard Hunt. Jerry Juhl's brilliant melding of Dickensian prose and Muppet lunacy makes for a perfect Christmas movie, in my opinion. Plus, this year it takes on added beauty as we remember Jerry Nelson, who plays both Tiny Tim (Robin) and the Ghost of Christmas Present so incredibly wonderfully. However... it will always be Gonzo and Rizzo that define brilliantly why I love this movie. 'Hoity-toity, mister god-like smarty pants!'" ~ Ryan Dosier
Finally, we close with some fun Christmas artwork from our friend Nickyle Edwards!







The Muppet Mindset by Ryan Dosier, muppetmindset@gmail.com

4 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed hearing everyone's favorite specials. Love these fan participation things, would love to see even more of them in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you there. When I read mine, I laughed at all the funny parts I put in and all of those specials everyone chose are so wonderful. Yay fan participation!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I think there might be a date issue with this post...both of these posts are filed under the 21st, yet this one seems to have debuted on the 22nd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love all of these productions and you lots choices! I tried to comment yesterday on the other two post but it wouldn't let me for some reason, its fixed now! Yay! My favorite is muppet christmas carol and I just love the new gonzo, rizzo, and kermit commentary. (As much as I like brians too!) So have yourself a merry christmas and keep it through the year!
    Hugs and giggles~Maria Gayle

    ReplyDelete

The Muppet Whatnot Workshop-Only Available at FAO.com
The Muppet Whatnot Workshop-Only Available at FAO.combanner