1 The Muppet Mindset: What Do YOU Say?

Nov 26, 2011

What Do YOU Say?


Lisa Alexander - Hello, everyone. Lisa the Intern here. Yes, I still exist, I'm still alive, and I still hold the unpaid position of "intern" even though I've graduated college and could certainly use a solid income... but that's another topic for another day.

Today's topic, ever so predictably, is the new movie. I would guess that you've seen it by now, unless you have the misfortune of living someplace where it isn't showing yet. So what do you do when someone asks you about it?

It came up multiple times during my Thanksgiving holiday. Family members would specifically ask me about it, or just pose a question when I happened to be in hearing range, and I had a hard time balancing my answer. I think my sister got the (incorrect) impression that as a Muppet fan I was disappointed, although she did relay to a cousin that I gave the movie a "thumbs up" (which is an understatement). Meanwhile, my aunt and two other cousins attentively sat for what could have easily become an hour-long lecture if my mom hadn't been dragging me out the door.

So what do YOU say when The Muppets comes up in conversation?

Do you stem your fandom and leave it with a simple, "That's a great movie! You should really see it."

Or do you get up on your soapbox and launch into a speech about how you've been tracking this movie's existence for the past four years, and how it was made by a bunch of hard-core Muppet fans out to prove that comedy doesn't have to be rude and puppets can appeal to adults, and how anyone can enjoy this movie, but the more you know about Muppets the more you'll get it, and how incredible it is that characters we haven't seen since the '70s are suddenly major players... And if you DO get on that soapbox, how long is it before your audience--I mean, family--loses interest?

Or do you try to show your folks that, although you're an Obsessed Muppet Fan, you do not blindly love and adore every single thing the Muppets ever do? This is the tactic I took with my sister, with the mixed results I mentioned before. I could have launched into a speech, of course: how there were some minor things I would have done differently, but that could be said about pretty much any Muppet movie ever made. (Case in point: Miss Piggy's hairstyle in Muppets Take Manhattan. I realize the afro was "in" at the time, but... seriously?) But then I would've ended up with a very bored listener. So instead all I said was, "There were some things I would have changed... but overall I enjoyed it." Which made for a painfully short conversation.

Ultimately, how much you profess your love of the new movie depends on your audience. (Note that I presume all of you love the new movie. It's hard not to.) How much you say depends on how much they know about the Muppets, and how much they already love the Muppets. Someone who can barely tell the difference between Rowlf and Fozzie won't appreciate how awesome it is that Thog has returned and Uncle Deadly is Tex Richman's henchman (hench-phantom?), but you can say, "This movie has characters we haven't seen since the '70s, and it's awesome."

The most important thing now is to recommend it. If someone asks, say yes, they should see this movie, because it is worth their time and money. Disney can do all the advertising in the world, and every possible source can give The Muppets great reviews, but nothing is more powerful than word of mouth. Tell your friends and family to tell THEIR friends and family to tell THEIR friends and family to see this movie so that it can be as big of a hit as it deserves to be. And that will send a very clear message, to Disney and to the entire world, that we want more Muppets.

Oh, and while you're out there promoting the movie, you might also want to advise people to bring tissues.

6 comments:

  1. Let's be honest about the movie. I won't lie to friends and family...or strangers for that matter. Let's not encourage anyone to say anything about the movie that is not truly heartfelt. For me...it really didn't have it. Sorry to be a Simon Cowell or John Simon sourpuss. I like the Muppets, I did not like this movie. Also, what was up with Fozzie's fur? The dye looked like it bled pinkish beneath his nose. The seams on certain Antron fleece characters looked as if the pill had not been properly napped. I think this film was completely in the hands of well meaning but overly confident amatures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for one really liked it. Liked it almost to the point of love. Almost. But not all the way. Just short.

    It had things in it I loved...certain songs, special attention to often forgotten or underused classic characters, explosions...but there were also odd elements that seemed a tad off...some of the timing on the jokes, the color , design and appearance of some characters, the ending...all in I really enjoyed this movie. I'd see it again in the theater. But it's not 'The Muppet Movie' or 'The Great Muppet Caper'. Those remain the best of the best.

    If it results in a new Muppet Show however, it will always hold a special place of reverence in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just yell very very loudly, straight into his er hers face. "I LOVED IT!" and then continue as if nothing happened.

    It's the most efficient way of just getting the message across and make people watch the thing for themselves. That is after all what I want :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went with 11 other people (kids and adults). That's how you do it! We saw it on Black Friday. The theatre was completely packed.

    I loved the movie. I put it just behind The Muppet Movie and Muppets Take Manhattan, but above The Great Muppet Caper, etc.

    I to am holding out hope for a new Muppet Show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this movie, and I tell everyone to see it and tell them how great it is. The only issue I had was that Fozzie sounded really, really off in one scene. Any other sound issues were resolved by seeing it in a quieter theater.

    It might very well be my new second favorite Muppet movie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this film!

    I don't care what the nit-pickers and haters say, this was an awesome movie, and most people seem to agree.

    ReplyDelete

The Muppet Whatnot Workshop-Only Available at FAO.com
The Muppet Whatnot Workshop-Only Available at FAO.combanner