1 The Muppet Mindset: The Great Muppet Survey - Bruce Aguilar

Aug 26, 2013

The Great Muppet Survey - Bruce Aguilar

Answers from Bruce Aguilar

1.   Who are your three favorite characters from The Muppet Show, Muppets Tonight, The Jim Henson Hour, the Muppet movies, etc. and why?
Janice for her Valley Girl way of talking and how she always seems to blurt something out just as the group conversation ends which draws a lot of uncomfortable attention on herself.

Pepe the King Prawn. Like Piggy he's got an inflated ego but can come off as a bit mean or uncaring at times, yet he’s really a lovable guy hiding his insecurities with his larger than life persona. Plus it’s so darn funny to watch him coming on to fully grown human women.

Kermit. Why? I love the many different faces he can make, how he usually stays pretty calm in a crisis but occasionally really wigs out. He wants to put on the best show possible yet he usually has the oddest acts to work with, but he keeps going and makes it work. He’s a leader who cares for those to look up to him. He’s got an enormous heart but he's a bit of a trickster too.  Finally, he’s a frog who can tap dance. How can you top that?

2.   Who are your three favorite characters from Sesame Street and why?
Big Bird for his innocence.

Roosevelt Franklin for being so darn cool yet not losing an ounce of the nice guy at his core

Bert and Ernie – hope this one is not cheating but I literally can’t think of one without the other. They’re an inseparable pair. The classic Odd Couple. I’ll never tire of Ernie’s pranks on the long-suffering, dull as oatmeal Bert.

3.   Who are your three favorite characters from Fraggle Rock and why?
Marjory the Trash Heap for her seemingly nonsense advice that proves to be exactly what you need to hear.

Red for her enthusiasm, athleticism and her mild rivalry with Gobo. Also she has AMAZING hair!

Uncle Traveling Matt for always getting it wrong, but somehow getting it right too.

4.   What is your favorite television program starring any of Jim Henson's creations (e.g. The Muppet Show, Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, Dinosaurs, etc.) and why?
Definitely Sesame Street. The show was so experimental and daring yet so accessible, the music is astounding, the Muppet characters are iconic and the humans stars are all heroes of mine. Plus we get to see Jim Henson express himself in animation as well as singing, voice acting and puppetry. This is the show that taught me about being a kind person, not to litter and to care for the planet, the importance of not allowing physical differences get in the way of your relationships, how to speak some rudimentary Spanish (and even some sign language) and so much more. I’m forever indebted to this show. I honestly can’t imagine who I’d be without it.

5.   What is your favorite Muppet movie and why?
As much as I adore The Muppet Movie and The Muppet Christmas Carol, I think The Great Muppet Caper edges them out as my all-time favorite.  For starters it has an amazing opening song and dance number that still blows my mind.  Miss Piggy synchronize swimming, a fleet of Muppets on bicycles, a zany who done it caper, tons of great songs.  Plus we learn that Fozzie and Kermit are identical twins!  Who knew?  Caper to me is everything a Muppet movie should be.

6.   What is your favorite Muppet/Sesame/Fraggle song and why?
What an evil question! There are so many! But I'll go with "Rainbow Connection." It’s an undisputed classic that’s actually quite profound and touching. There are many other touching Muppet songs and many more that make me laugh out loud every time I hear them, but "Rainbow Connection" holds a very special place.

7.   If you could have dinner with any living Muppet performer who would you choose and why?
Caroll Spinney. He’s been with Sesame Street from the beginning and is responsible for two of its most iconic characters. To keep the characters fresh and relevant all this time is a major achievement. I’d love learn from him.

8.   If you could tell Jim Henson one thing, what would it be?
I’d tell him his work has helped (in very deep ways) form the person I am today and thank him from the bottom of my heart.

9.   If the President called you and asked to discuss Muppet projects, what would you tell him was the "Greatest Muppet Moment of All Time"?
It may be cliché but I'm going with Mahna Mahna. Not only is it iconic but it illustrates much of the Jim Henson philosophy in a fun, approachable way that needs no translation. Truly brilliant.

10.   What's the name of that song?
I’m not sure, but I think it goes something, something…bird.

11.   If a judge ruled that Grover had to be your personal assistant for a month, what jobs would you have him do?
I'd have him serve me alphabet soup for lunch every day; sing “Sing After Me” with me once a day; remind me of the difference between over, under, around and through once a week; lead me in morning exercises.

12.   In your opinion, what is the worst Muppet production ever made?
The Muppets' Wizard of Oz. The least said about it, the better. Let’s just pretend it never happened. Special honorary mention to Kermit's Swamp Years.

13.   Who is one celebrity you would love to see cameo in the next Muppet movie?
RuPaul. His message of celebrating difference in all it's wacky forms is a perfect fit for the Muppets.

14.   If you could take a picture with any Muppet, who would you choose and how would you pose?
I’d choose Big Bird and I’d take the picture with my hands outstretched to him, offering a heaping mound of birdseed. Hopefully the picture would be taken as Big Bird is eating the birdseed right out of my hands.

15.   What is your favorite piece of Muppet merchandise that you own? (Feel free to include a picture!)
Hmmm, I’m quite partial to the Kermit fragrance Amphibia (pour homme, femme, et frog) and Miss Piggy’s Moi perfume (it has  a certain je ne sais moi).






The Muppet Mindset by Ryan Dosier, muppetmindset@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Would you like another bottle of Amphibia? I am going through my childhood room and am donating some of my Kermit merch to Goodwill. This is one item I'm having a hard time parting with knowing it needs to be properly appreciated. :)

    I'll send it to you no charge if you'd like. It's a full bottle and is blue in color. I still have the original box and tag. You can contact me at: automajic@gmail.com

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

The Muppet Whatnot Workshop-Only Available at FAO.com
The Muppet Whatnot Workshop-Only Available at FAO.combanner