1 The Muppet Mindset: Lisa the Intern's Fan Art

Mar 18, 2011

Lisa the Intern's Fan Art

Lacking other content for today--darned if I know how Ryan manages to put something up every single day--I, your faithful intern, must resort to ego-centricism and show off my strange fan art. That should be enjoyable for everyone, right? I mean, my mom likes it, anyway...

I'm not much of an artist, and as anyone who has ever tried to draw a Muppet knows, they're not easy to capture. I try to get around both of these things. For one, I use Paint--no, not paint as in the stuff you apply with a brush, but Paint as in the crummy little program found on all Windows PCs. An odd choice, perhaps, but it works for me. My other trick is that I don't start from scratch--I sort of trace an existing picture of whatever Muppet I'm "drawing." I'm not quite sure how else to explain it, but since a picture is worth a thousand words, let's start showing, shall we?

You may or may not know that Robin is my favorite Muppet, so naturally the first bit of fan art I did was of him. I started with this picture here of cute little Robin sitting on the floor backstage at the Muppet Theater. Then I completely removed the background and sort of re-colored Robin so that he no longer looked like a photograph, but more like the sort of "shading" I can do in Paint on my own. Then I moved him around a bit and put him on a rock in the middle of a river, so the final result looked like this:



Note to self: Running water is really, really hard. Somehow, I always forget that.

Next was Miss Piggy. I started with this screencap of her when she's just won the beauty contest at the Bogen County Fair. Then I took out the background, moved her over a little, and put her in the wings of the Muppet Theater, just about to come on stage. We can see Kermit in the audience--the only one in the audience, apparently. But this one just sort of kept getting more complicated on me. So there's also a big hole in the wall behind Piggy, complete with rubble on the floor, a broom next to it waiting to tend to that rubble, and a couple of chickens strolling through that hole. And above the hole, there's an exit sign with an arrow pointing somewhere else, but someone took some black spray-paint, crossed out the original arrow, and made a new one pointing to the hole. Nice and Muppety, don't you think?


Note to self: I hate hair.

In attempt to avoid hair, I tackled Scooter next. Believe it or not, this one isn't entirely done, but it's close enough for me to feel okay sharing it. I took one of those pictures we got when we were waiting for Letters to Santa to come out, and I got rid of Kermit, Piggy, and the entire background. Then I put Scooter on some random city rooftop, where he's apparently looking at the stars, but his original reason for coming up to the roof was to fetch Kermit, whom we can see sitting at the edge of the roof, doing some star-gazing of his own.


Note to self: Clothes are always a lot harder than they look.

So that is my fan art--or at least, the stuff that's worth looking at. Enjoy!







The Muppet Mindset by Ryan Dosier

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Muppet Whatnot Workshop-Only Available at FAO.com
The Muppet Whatnot Workshop-Only Available at FAO.combanner