1 The Muppet Mindset: Ask the iPod: Sesame Street Edition

Jun 4, 2011

Ask the iPod: Sesame Street Edition

On days when I find myself in need of a good cheering up, I take some advice from Sesame Street and I sing a song. Heck, there's even a song on Sesame Street called "It Feels Good When You Sing a Song." Well, I'm sort of applying that song to today's post. I'm a wee bit bored this afternoon and I've got nothing in the way of news or posts to put up today... so I decided to play "Ask the iPod" (or Zune or Walkman or whatever) with my vast collection of Sesame Street music!

The rules of the game are simple, simply select all of your Sesame Street music on your iPod (this is easy for me, since all of my Sesame music is under the genre "Sesame Street") and put it on shuffle. Ask the iPod (or iTunes, I don't really care) one of the questions seen below and whatever song comes up gives you your answer. Simple enough, yes? So without further ado... this is Ask the iPod: Sesame Street Edition. The song title, artist, and album will appear in bold and italics and my witty response will appear in (parentheses).

1) If I was in a band, what would it be called?
"One Small Voice"/The Kids, Telly, Elmo, Hoots, and Prairie Dawn/Songs from the Street: 35 Years of Music
(GREAT band name.)

2) What should my career be?
"Count it Higher"/Chrissy and the Alphabeats/The Count Counts
(What? I should be an accountant? Score keeper? Very cryptic, mister iPod.)

3) What is something good that will happen to me in the future?
"I Love Trash"/Oscar the Grouch/Sesame Street Platinum All-Time Favorites
(I don't really think I want to know what that means.)

4) What is something bad that will happen to me in the future?
"Put Down the Duckie"/Hoots the Owl and Ernie/Sesame Street Platinum All-Time Favorites
(Having to put down the duckie? That IS bad!!)

5) What's the next thing I will cry over?
"I Don't Want to Live on the Moon"/Ernie/Sesame Street Platinum All-Time Favorites
(How eerily appropriate... probably one of the few tear-jerking Sesame songs.)

6) The next thing I will laugh about?
"Loud and Soft (Fuerte y Suave)"/Luis and Bob/Fiesta Songs
(I do always laugh at this song... and I did listening to it just now. You win this round, iPod.)

7) Why are my friends my friends?
"The Happiest Street in the World"/Big Bird and the Girls/Sesame Disco!
(Because... we live on the happiest street in the world? Of because "wherever I ever go" they'll be there? Eh, whatever.)

8) Why are my enemies my enemies?
"Captain Vegetable"/Captain Vegetable, Andy, and Eddy/Cheep Thrills!
(Yes! That is exactly why my enemies are my enemies--they tried to make me eat vegetables.)

9) How do my friends see me?
"The Ten Commandments of Health"/Dr. Thad and the Medications/Born to Add
(My friends see me as the living personification of the Ten Commandments of Health? Works for me.)

10) How do my enemies see me
"Silver Bells"/Bert and Ernie/Sesame Street Christmas Sing-Along
(I think this means they see me as a ding-a-ling.)

11) How does my family see me?
"Ain't No Road Too Long"/Big Bird, Waylon Jennings, Gordon, Olivia, Super Grover, and The Count/Follow That Bird
(They have faith in me to "learn to say yes when life says no" and realize that "there ain't no mountain you can't climb." How sweet of them. I love this song, by the by.)

12) What is my best quality?
"Three"/Elmo, Prairie Dawn, and Herry Monster/Sesame Street
(I must have three best qualities... the iPod can't narrow it down to just one.)

13) What is my worst quality?
"C is for Cookie"/Cookie Monster/Sesame Street Platinum All-Time Favorites
(Gluttony?)

14) What's my general attitude towards things?
"Because We're Friends"/Zoe, Rosita, and Abby Cadabby/Sesame Street
(My general attitude: because we're friends anything is possible? Sure. Let's go with that.)

15) What type of friends would I get along with well?
"The Number Five"/The Kids/The Sesame Street Record
(Friends who each have five friends? Or does it mean five friends is my maximum limit? Or... does it mean I can only be friends with five year olds? Honestly... any of those is plausible.)

16) Why should I be famous?
"The Hokey Pokey"/Big Bird, Elmo, Telly Monster, Zoe, and Oscar the Grouch/Kid's Favorite Songs 2
(That IS what it's all about.)

17) What is my motto?
"There's a Big Heap of Trash at the End of the Rainbow"/Oscar the Grouch/Oscar's Trashy Songs
(What's a motto? That. That's a motto.)

18) What am I doing right now?
"Little Things"/Prairie Dawn/Sesame Street Platinum All-Time Favorites
(You got that right.) 

19) How am I feeling today?
"What I Am"/will.i.am and the Sesame Street Muppets/Sesame Street
(I'm feeling proud and confident in myself--awesome!) 

20) What is my life purpose?
"Sing"/The Sesame Street Gang/Sesame Street Celebrates!
(Isn't that the purpose of every life? That's what I've learned from Sesame Street!) 

21) What song will play at my funeral?
"Sesame Street Theme"/The Elmopalooza! Cast/Elmopalooza!
(I am more than okay with this.) 

22) What song will play at my wedding?
"I Am Chicken"/A Chicken/Born to Add
(Talk about cold feet.) 

23) Will I get far in life?
"I'm Square"/Bert/The Gang's All Here
(So... is that a no?)

24) What scares me the most?
"A New Way to Walk"/The Oinker Sisters/Hot! Hot! Hot! Dance Songs
(Change... I guess?)  

25) How is my life going?
"A True Blue Miracle"/The Sesame Street Cast/Christmas Eve on Sesame Street
(It's a miracle that my life is still going? Yeesh.)

26) What is my current theme song?
"This Frog"/Kermit the Frog/Songs From the Street: 35 Years of Music
(I think this is my always theme song. Kermit's song about making his way no matter what anyone said and being more than what he's meant to be. Perfect.)

27) What is some good advice?
"Keep on Trying"/Baby Ray Franklin and Mary Francis Franklin/My Name is Roosevelt Franklin
(Once again, Roosevelt Franklin and friends have the best advice for us all.)

28) What should I do with my life?
"Grover Work Song"/Big Bird, Elmo, Bert, Ernie, and Zoe/A Celebration of Me, Grover
(Okay, fair... but do I have to do every job Grover does?) 

29) When I meet a girl for the first time I say...
"Rubber Duckie"/Ernie/Sesame Street Platinum All-Time Favorites
("You're the one/you make bath-time lots of fun." Yeah... probably shouldn't say that to a girl.)

30) How can I make myself happy?
"Let's Make a Dream"/Joe Raposo/We Are All Earthlings
(I'll be happy by making my dream come true. Makes sense to me!"

Well, Muppet fans, what say you? Go off and play Ask the iPod with your own music collection and let us know what you get! This works with Sesame music, Muppet music, Fraggle music, or even normal people music (bo-ring!)--the important thing is to just enjoy the music on your iPod (or Zune or cassette player or Walkman or whatever) and have fun!






The Muppet Mindset by Ryan Dosier

3 comments:

  1. Awesome idea, Ryan! Love the motto, got a little teary at the funeral song, and wish I had an iPod to play along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool article... but one question... how does one shuffle a cassette player?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found my old tape of Big Bird's Birthday that I used to watch as a kid, some good songs in there! So this post was pretty appropriate for me today! ;P

    ReplyDelete

The Muppet Whatnot Workshop-Only Available at FAO.com
The Muppet Whatnot Workshop-Only Available at FAO.combanner